By Aditi Patwardhan. Posted on May 18, 2016
'Alpavirama', the Asian Short and Documentary Film Festival organized by the National Institute of Design (NID), Ahmedabad is inviting entries for its competition as well as non-competition sections. 'Alpavirama' has been initiated by the Film & Video Communication Department of NID with the aim of celebrating the short and documentary format of cinema. The four day long festival will be held from 4th to 8th October 2016.
A film festival with a curious name, 'Alpavirama' is a festival to vouch for. As their official website introduces it, ‘Alpavirama’ is comma in Sanskrit - a precious pause - a brief stretch of time reclaimed for reflection and repose.
The festival has had two editions so far, in 2011 and 2014. Though relatively new, the fact that the festival has originated in one of the most respected educational institutions of the country adds credibility to its name. The institute has been premiere in animation and filmmaking courses and has produced several bright filmmakers so far. The previous editions of the festival have screened some acclaimed films like Kavita Datir and Amit Sonawane's Babai, Akee Sorokhaibam's Alternative Dancer and Christo Tomy's Grahanam.
South Asian Competition:
1. Short fiction or documentary film, not-less-than 5 minutes and not-more-than 30 minutes long (original production length - no modified versions will be entertained)
2. The film should have been produced on or after 1st August, 2014
3. The age of the director should have been under 30 years at the time of making his / her film.
4. The director should be a citizen of and ordinarily resident in any of the following South Asian countries: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.
5. The subject matter of the film should also broadly deal with South Asia, the land and its people, and their lives.
6. Films made in languages other than English should have subtitles in English.
7. Animation films are not eligible for the competition.
Focus on Asia (NON-COMPETITIVE):
The conditions for eligibility for the Focus on Asia section are same as the competition category. Except that the director entering his film in this section should be a citizen of and ordinarily resident in any Asian country, other than in South Asia.
Last date for receiving preview DVDs / online download link (with password, if any), with duly filled in entry forms is:
1st July 2016 (Monday)
There is no entry fee.
You need to submit:
1. Duly filled Entry Form: Click here to fill the entry form.
2. Preview DVD / online download link (with password, if any) of the Film
3. CD with 2 Film Stills and Director’s Photograph*
*In case of the preview copy of the submitted short fiction/documentary being available online for download and/or viewing, the filled and signed entry form can also be scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with digital copies of film stills & director's photo.
For more information or in case of queries, you can refer to their official website, right here.
You can also send an email to email@example.com or call on +91 79 26629500 / 2662 9600.