By Aditi Patwardhan. Posted on December 18, 2015
Court, India's official entry for the 88th Annual Academy Awards in the Best Foreign Language Film category is out of the race for the Oscar, as the long list of 9 films that will advance has been released. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences announced on Thursday the list of nine films that will advance for further voting. The short list of nine films has been narrowed down from the eighty eligible foreign-language submissions and it will further boil down to the five finalists.
Here’s the list of the selected 9 features:
1. The Brand New Testament, directed by Jaco Van Dormael (Belgium)
2. Embrace of the Serpent, directed by Ciro Guerra, director (Colombia)
3. A War, directed by Tobias Lindholm (Denmark)
4. The Fencer, directed by Klaus Härö, director (Finland)
5. Mustang, directed by Deniz Gamze Ergüven, director (France)
6. Labyrinth of Lies, directed by Giulio Ricciarelli, director (Germany)
7. Son of Saul, directed by László Nemes, director (Hungary)
8. Viva, directed by Paddy Breathnach, director (Ireland)
9. Theeb, directed by Naji Abu Nowar, director (Jordan)
All in all, we can see a dominance of European cinema over the list. All the films in the list except Theeb and Embrace of the Serpent are from Europe. Interestingly enough, for the past three years, European films have won the Oscar for Best Foreign Language Film, the Austrian Amour (2012), Italy's The Great Beauty (2013) and the Polish feature Ida, which got the honour last year.
While Mustang, Son Of Saul, Theeb, Labyrinth of Lies and The Brand New Testament were predicted choices, films like Embrace of the Serpent and the Irish Viva came as a surprise. Also, Taiwan's The Assassin, the Austrian Goodnight Mommy, Iceland's Rams and Sweden's A Pigeon Sat on A Branch Reflecting on Existence, which were highly expected to run for the award didn't make the cut.
These nine features that have been shortlisted will advance to the next round of voting, where 30 Academy members will watch the films to select the finalists. The final five nominees are to be announced on 14th January, 2016 along with other categories. The 88th annual Academy Awards will take place on 28th February, 2016.